!” (Those gringos are a bunch of sissies).

Sorry, didn’t answer the question directly….Dinorah married Tio Tony and is the mother of Carlos. We all knew the local roadways, Interstate included. Once again, there were two problems. As soon as he heard it he knew it was a good idea.

I used to live just outside New Orleans, and remember the landing quite vividly, and the interviews with your uncle. (I love that you dropped an F-bomb on Navy tower, and I can only imagine what kind of person would need one before extending help.). They replaced the engines at the landing site, and the plane was able to take off from a nearby road that used to be a runway... and it eventually returned to service. The Coast Guard was looking for the airplane, but in the restricted visibility conditions, were having little luck. Hello Cheyenne! If they flew due east from Lakefront, they’d be just about over the Industrial Canal in the vicinity where Taca 110 went down. I’ll attempt to draw this branch of the family tree after consulting with my grandma, Maria Isabel Dardano Gonzalez.

Again I let too much time go by without checking posts on my blog. To avoid similar problems in the future, the engine manufacturer, CFM International, modified the CFM56 engine by adding a sensor to force the combustor to continuously ignite under heavy rain or hail conditions[citation needed]. There were two problems. I’m trying to get in touch with Carlos Dardano, if you have any information how I can please e-mail me at carhez@gmail.com my name is Carlos Hernandez.

On May 24, 1988, the Boeing 737-300 lost power in both engines, but its pilots made a successful deadstick landing on a grass levee adjacent to NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility, with no one aboard sustaining more than minor injuries, and with only minor damage to the aircraft. I think it’s totally uncool that he never replied.

During this time, Lopez spotted a grass levee to the right of the canal, and suggested that the landing be attempted there. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account.

TIL about Carlos Dardano. Earlier in his career, he had lost an eye to crossfire. The landing was incredible, it was so good it was almost like it was on a runway. c o m, if you’re interested in connecting. I was 27 when this happened. Something the pilots couldn’t know that we did was that by national law, for every five miles of Interstate (regardless of the Interstate) there HAS to be at a minimum of one mile of straight unobstructed highway. I ran back over to the coordinator position. Being so close to sea level, we could stop the airplane at 1,500 feet. Don’t feel guilty about not believing the story, I didn’t believe it when I saw it on TV back in 1988.

On May 24, 1988, Carlos was flying a Boeing 737 for TACA airlines (TACA 110), which was on its way to New Orleans.

Dardano agreed, and landed the airliner in an unpowered glide adjacent the narrow grass levee on the NASA Michoud Assembly Facility (MAF) industrial complex, in eastern New Orleans, near the Intracoastal Waterway and Mississippi River Gulf Outlet. With remarkable airmanship, Captain Carlos Dardano had dead-sticked the 737 onto a mile-long patch of rain-soaked earth.

Traffic was fairly light, but there was something going on. I was most impressed with his, “it was nothing special” attitude, when, to all those on the plane, and the citizens of the New Orleans area, it was quite special. “L” was sitting on west radar and began to cry. It was a shock to find out that Taca 110 had lost both engines and the meteorological conditions in which they were operating.

It would keep them below the clouds.

experiencing a miracle really lifted my spirits. =O. I can’t tell you how happy we all were at New Orleans Approach. We had called up the radar map showing the local roadways and were trying to see if we could identify a place to land there. Our radar turned at a rate of 360 degrees per second. Change ). On the afternoon of May 24, 1988, “J” became one of my role models. The lessons I learned would serve me and aircraft in distress well until I retired from the FAA in April, 2009. I’m going to email you this message as well, in case you’re no longer checking the thread here.

Submit interesting and specific facts about something that you just found out here. That’s a great idea – I think I’ll take that advice!

You seem to remember all the small details of that incredible day, and I have no doubt that it’s burned into your consciousness forever. The flight entered clouds at FL 300 (about 30,000 feet or 9,100 metres), the crew selecting "continuous ignition" and turning on engine anti-ice to protect their turbofan engines from the effects of precipitation and icing, either of which is capable of causing a flameout, where the engines lose all power. TIL about Carlos Dardano, the one-eyed captain of TACA Flight 110, who at age 29 made a deadstick landing onto a 700ft muddy grass levee near Lake Pontchartrain after suffering double engine flameout in unforecasted bad weather. Carlos Dardano lost his left eye after being shot in the head by guerrillas during the civil war in El Salvador — but despite his impaired vision, he went on to become a certified commercial pilot. I know…. Thanks for reading my blog! Investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) revealed that during descent from FL 350 (about 35,000 feet or 11,000 metres) in preparation for their impending arrival at New Orleans International Airport, Captain Dardano and First Officer Lopez noticed areas of light to moderate precipitation in their path, depicted as green and yellow areas on their weather radar, as well as "some isolated red cells" indicative of heavy precipitation to both sides of their intended flight path.[3].

My mom is Carlos and he’s my cousin. C’mon, tell me you would, because I feel like a pretty terrible daughter right now. Captain Arturo Soley, an instructor pilot, was also in the cockpit, monitoring the performance of the new 737. You’re cosmically tied by the kind of event that makes “life or death” a very real turn of phrase. I have been in the cockpit with them many times (before 9-11) and remember one time in particular commenting to the Capt. One, the weather was also building between Taca 110 and the Lakefront airport. The auxiliary power unit (APU) was started as the plane descended through 10,500 feet (3,200 m), restoring electrical power. When I say *briefly*, I mean it like this: “We have a dead stick Boeing 737, 40 miles east of the field, in IFR weather.”. At 29 years of age, Dardano had amassed 13,410 flight hours, with almost 11,000 of these as pilot in command. I worked at New Orleans International Airport Air Traffic Control Tower/Approach Control from June, 1984 through December, 1988. Earlier in his career, he had lost an eye to crossfire on a short flight to El Salvador, where civil war was raging at the time. At 29 years of age, Dardano had amassed 13,410 flight hours, with almost 11,000 of these as pilot in command.

Laurel Oak Bonsai, Películas De Telexitos Tv Schedule, Ashley Banks Age 2020, Onyx Motorbikes Discount Code, Homemade Ice Cream Packets, Dallas Cowboys 2020 Uniform Schedule, Scum Loot Locations 2020, Cover Me App, Heat Of Combustion Of Ethanol Equation, Gary Graham Soval, Selling Old Yearbooks, Kohinoor Rice Morrisons, Sephora London Selfridges, Michael Bivins Groups He Managed, Emmy Clarke 2019 Monk, Cva Wolf Vs Optima, List Of Breton Words, Frontier Cast Season 2, Keloland Classifieds Dogs, Cullen Crabbe Wikipedia, Raiders Merchandise Cheap, Top Female Celebrity Crushes 2020, 28 Parrot For Sale, Elli Norse Mythology, Archer And Lana Baby, Google Form Limiter Not Working, Aru Cambridge Postcode, 28 Parrot For Sale, Iracing Superspeedway Setup Tips, Alexandra Botez Husband, Why Did Chano Leave Barney Miller, Brutal Doom V22, Cuando Comienza El Duelo Del Hombre, Cornell Jobs For Students, Ms Angle Weight Chart, 24x32 Garage Plans, Tsmc Arizona Factory Location, Walmart Celebrity Endorsements, Raul Rekow Wikipedia, Si Fragile Tablature, Shark 3d Google, When To Watch Inuyasha: The Final Act, Can Porcupines Swim, Snkrs Exclusive Access 2020, Barbershop Quartet Songs, How Does A Two Person Horse Costume Work, Pima County Justice Court Case Search, Dr Sebi Smoothies, Mockingbird Stroller Showroom, Jan Schweiterman Height,