The band became a staple of the late '70s Manhattan punk scene emerging from clubs like Max's Kansas City and CBGB and was one of the first acts to realize the potential of punk rock as theater and spectacle. I never saw Lux again–except onstage–after that time, but I’ve always kept a warm memory. He was 60. i just found the newspaper ad for that show…. Taken aback by the question, he replied: “Rock ’n’ roll has absolutely nothing to do with music. Lux Interior, who introduced the excitement of deviant rockabilly to the punk era as the lead singer of the Cramps, died early Wednesday in Glendale, Calif. Either way, Ivy proffered her black-lace-gloved hand to be kissed before leaving, and I walked off in a daze. He was 62. Interior, whose real name was Erick Lee Purkhiser, died at Glendale Memorial Hospital of a previously-existing heart … When I was a little shit I read an interview with the Cramps & lux claimed to be over 300 years old.

It’s much more than music. Often dressed in macabre, gender-bending costumes onstage, Interior evoked a lanky, proto-goth Elvis Presley, and his band quickly became notorious for volatile and decadent live performances. The Cramps were an American punk rock band formed in 1976 and active until 2009. A week later I was walking to work when the words “Lux and Ivy!” came out of my mouth. I moved to NYC in 1981, so I missed the Cramps’ days at CBGB, but I did first see them at the old (and great!) Saw The Cramps open for The Ramones at My Fathers Place In L.I. I wish I’d thought of taking them on a tour of gothic Dublin, it would have repaid them a little for the hundreds and thousands of hours of pleasure I got from their music and from the movies and musicians (and even the drugs – they were the first people I ever remember talking about ecstasy) they talked about in their interviews.

He was truly the last of a breed. mine was certainly one of the lives he changed. this is one of the few times a death ,of someone i didn’t actually know ,has really depressed me.although i didn’t keep up with their releases after the early 80’s, i credit the cramps, along with kicks fanzine, and the hound radio show with sending me down the road to perdition.the last of a breed…indeed. Back in, 1996 or 7 I think it was, Russ Meyer came to Dublin and as I was seemingly the only person in Ireland familiar with his films I got to interview him, and ended up having dinner with him (a memorably weird and fun evening).

He died Wednesday morning, not Tuesday. Lux Interior, the singer, songwriter and founding member of the pioneering New York City horror-punk band the Cramps, died Wednesday. The first show I saw in NYC the night I got here in ’77 was the Cramps and the Ramones at CBGB. in I think 77. He is survived by his fabulous wife and fellow Cramps bandmate, Kristy Wallace, a.k.a. It’s noise, rockin’ noise.”, Lux Interior, 62, Singer in the Punk-Rock Era, Is Dead.

They bonded over their pop-culture interests — both scoured flea markets and thrift shops for discarded 1950s records — and by 1975 they had moved to New York. I think “Garbageman” is one of the great songs in rock and roll, and they were one of the great bands. Lux and the Cramps were serious about rockabilly, horror, foot fetishes, sci-fi B-movies and 50s kitsch. Lux Interior was asked by one of the station personalities about the music. In 1979 the Cramps were guest D.J.’s on WPIX-FM in New York, spinning records by Wanda Jackson, the Electric Prunes, Herbie Duncan and other vintage rockabilly and garage acts.

Screaming Rock'n'Roll, the kind they don't make anymore, old R&B, hillbilly, gospel, greasy vocal groups, scratchy 45's and 78's. UPDATE: The original version of this post misstated the date of Lux Interior's death.

But subsequent albums had limited success, and the band’s album “A Date With Elvis,” considered by many critics to be among its best, was released in Britain in 1986 but not in the United States until four years later. As connoisseurs of seemingly all forms of trashy pop culture from the 1950s and ’60s — ranging from ghoulish comic books to Z-grade horror films to the rawest garage rock — they developed a sound that mixed the menace of rockabilly’s primitivist fringe with dark psychedelia and the blunt simplicity of punk. )First Ron Asheton, now Lux, both dead at 60 from heart ailments; are these bad omens for 2009? Lux Interior of the Cramps has died. Their line-up rotated frequently during their existence, with the husband-and-wife duo of Interior and lead guitarist and occasional bass guitarist Poison Ivy comprising the only ever-present members. I wouldn’t get too bummed out just yet, there’s a good chance he will rise from the dead sometime soon. For over 20 years I have repeated that story to people when ever the topic of age or growing old comes up.

They took stage names and became regulars at CBGB and Max’s Kansas City, and they later married. They were a perfect rock and roll band.Great photo. He was also the first person to tell me about Ray Dennis Steckler, who predeceased Lux by just a few days. Interior, whose real name was Erick Lee Purkhiser, died at Glendale Memorial Hospital of a previously-existing heart condition, according to a statement from his publicist. Dynamic Duos II: God’s Army – Johnny & Luther Htoo, Friday’s 5 45’s — Guitar Slingers (and big dick swingers…).

Golden Lancehead In Captivity, Legion Tech Dbd, Hornady 44 Mag 225 Gr Ftx For Deer, Debakii Before Surgery, Irish Setter Rescue, Funny Disease Names, Danica Lee Net Worth, Jordan Taylor Accident, Catullus 1 Scansion, Reframing Organizations Chapter 11 Summary, Cucurbita Pepo Recipes, Somaya Reece Husband, Why Did You Touch The Frog, Why Is The Transamerica Pyramid Earthquake Proof, 2012 Chevy Cruze Rs Specs, Mummified Alive The Mummy, How Fast Is 25 Knots On A Boat?, Fork Weapon Name, Old Rangers Badge, Katie Ford Impact Wrestling, Dunkin Donuts Calendar 2020, Monarch Chrysalis Problems, Korean Tattoo Style, Ronan Dunne New Jersey, Richard Brandon Coleman, Kirk Herbstreit Stats, Female Pastor On Tv, Sabalenka Father Death, How Old Was Kathy Beale When She Had Ian, 45 Colt Rifle Ballistics, Top Of Hand Pain, Tommie Lee Ig, War Pike Dauntless Build, Mitsubishi L200 Long Bed Vs Short Bed, Hotpoint Refrigerator Parts Csx27d, Chip Arndt Net Worth, Savage Biathlon Rifle For Sale, Phoenix Farm Summary, Sensation De Piqure D'aiguille Dans L'oeil, Brass To Black Steel Pipe Connection, Blue Yeti Firmware,