38:3 She became pregnant and had a son.

He gave each of them an appropriate blessing. This is quiz #62 out of 145 Bible Quizzes. So I buried her there on the way to Ephrath” (that is, Bethlehem). Ask the Holy Spirit to show you where you may be vulnerable to losing your freedom because you are becoming, or have become, too dependent upon others – who do not serve the Lord God. endstream endobj 151 0 obj<>/W[1 1 1]/Type/XRef/Index[10 117]>>stream Issachar’s tribe would readily exchange freedom for comfort, working hard but as slaves. Copyright © 2009—2019 Foundation for the Advancement of Religion Online. Lord, may I be as faithful and wise as Joseph, remembering that all of the gifts of the Holy Spirit (in this case the gift of interpretation) and all power belong to you. 46:29 Joseph harnessed his chariot and went up to meet his father Israel in Goshen.

Judah’s offer was significantly motivated by guilt, for what he had helped to do to Benjamin’s brother Joseph, and for the pain that had caused his father Jacob/Israel for many years. 43:18 But the men were afraid when they were brought to Joseph’s house. Then Pharaoh woke up. 0000006415 00000 n Joseph has surely been torn to pieces!” 37:34 Then Jacob tore his clothes, put on sackcloth, and mourned for his son many days. Questions: (Select the best answer for each question) 1. 46:27 Counting the two sons of Joseph who were born to him in Egypt, all the people of the household of Jacob who were in Egypt numbered seventy. What did Joseph learn about the attitude of his brothers, compared to what it had been when they sold Joseph into Egypt? nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet, 49:13 Zebulun will live by the haven of the sea. Joseph remained humble – clearly recognizing that vengeance belonged to the Lord.

42:28 He said to his brothers, “My money was returned! 41:21 When they had eaten them, no one would have known that they had done so, for they were just as bad-looking as before. Gad’s tribe would struggle to remain in freedom and at peace but would cleverly harass their enemies even though facing great odds. When have you observed a concentration of power and resources in a community, or a region/nation, where not everyone was treated equally? If Joseph had not been there to save and to later distribute the grain what might Jacob/Israel’s family done for food during the famine? 37:6 He said to them, “Listen to this dream I had: 37:7 There we were, binding sheaves of grain in the middle of the field. So Joseph brought his sons near to him, and his father kissed them and embraced them. Sunday (Genesis 37) Joseph’s Dreams. Leave one of your brothers with me, and take grain for your hungry households and go. I agree to make an intentional effort to get out of debt, to reduce spending, to become as energy-independent as possible, to grow as much food as possible, to network with others to share food and other resources, and to otherwise limit my actual and potential dependence upon government should circumstances become economically difficult - as described in today’s Bible text. At what price did the merchantmen buy Joseph from his brothers? 10. The famine will devastate the land. Jacob exhibited poor judgment throughout his life, always because he was not listening to the Lord God, so once again he behaved impetuously and irresponsibly and the result was conflict. When have you ever been fearful and reacted defensively without first consulting God? and on the brow of the prince of his brothers. If I do not bring him back to you and place him here before you, I will bear the blame before you all my life. 127 0 obj <> endobj (Judas later sold-out Jesus, also for 20 pieces of silver.) 39:2 The Lord was with Joseph. 39:20 Joseph’s master took him and threw him into the prison, the place where the king’s prisoners were confined. Only the land of the priests did not become Pharaoh’s. a) David.

So how could I do such a great evil and sin against God?” 39:10 Even though she continued to speak to Joseph day after day, he did not respond to her invitation to have sex with her. because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel, 49:26 The blessings of your father are greater, than the blessings of the eternal mountains. His final exclamation was “As for me, if I lose my children I lose them.”, meaning that he recognized that them not going meant they all would starve to death – so his desire to withhold Benjamin was meaningless. My son Joseph is still alive! Judah was lifted to the role of leader of the 12 Tribes and was identified as the next in the line that would flow from him to Jesus the Christ “The scepter will not depart from Judah, nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet, until he comes to whom it belongs; the nations will obey him.”. Zephon, Haggi, Shuni, Ezbon, Eri, Arodi, and Areli. I will accept what the Holy Spirit shows me, perhaps affirmed through a Biblical 'elder', and will immediately act to restore balance. A wild animal has eaten him! Sometimes life isn’t fair. I will prayerfully consult the Holy Spirit for wisdom and will allow Him to direct my decisions – and to be my courage where I need to make some risky choices. 40:7 So he asked Pharaoh’s officials, who were with him in custody in his master’s house, “Why do you look so sad today?” 40:8 They told him, “We both had dreams, but there is no one to interpret them.” Joseph responded, “Don’t interpretations belong to God? 49:6 O my soul, do not come into their council. So now we must pay for shedding his blood!” 42:23 (Now they did not know that Joseph could understand them, for he was speaking through an interpreter.) The Cupbearer finally remembered Joseph’s request, perhaps as it would now make him a ‘hero’ to the Pharaoh, and told the story of Joseph’s accuracy in interpreting dreams. Judah, as was traditional, required his second son to sleep with her in order to give her a son so as to carry-on his brother’s line – but Onan was selfish as he knew the son would not be considered his own – and therefore he would not himself inherit Er’s blessings as the first born. 38:4 She became pregnant again and had another son, whom she named Onan. They were tossed into the same prison as Joseph and he was assigned oversight of them. 37:27 Come, let’s sell him to the Ishmaelites, but let’s not lay a hand on him, for after all, he is our brother, our own flesh.” His brothers agreed. The Pharaoh had dreams and visions visited upon him by the Lord God, but his “... diviner-priests” (men whose “gift of interpretation” came to them from the evil one because he was the one usually giving the visions to Pharaoh - even if they would not have acknowledged that), were unable to interpret these dreams (because they came from the Lord). When have you stood-up for another, even offering to take the blame or to fill their place? They all ate and drank together until they were “drunk”, which given what is believed to be the traditionally low-alcohol content of wine served at feasts (in those days) may have been an indicator of how long they were together, and/or as the NET translator’s notes suggest “they drank and were intoxicated with him” (or very comfortable and merry with him). The tribe by his name would tend toward the destructive and would not excel. Your hand will be on the neck of your enemies. Judah had in some way or ways “taught” Tamar that he would be vulnerable to the appeal of a cult prostitute. 37:20 Come now, let’s kill him, throw him into one of the cisterns, and then say that a wild animal ate him. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to you choices that you are making that make it more or less probable God will choose to bless you. Copyright © 1998-2020 UB David & I'll B Jonathan, Inc. What was the result?
44:19 My lord asked his servants, ‘Do you have a father or a brother?’ 44:20 We said to my lord, ‘We have an aged father, and there is a young boy who was born when our father was old. Lord, when we join with evil the result is usually evil. Despite the trouble caused by Isaac’s preferential treatment of Esau, and Rebekah’s preference for Jacob, Jacob repeated their error and was obvious in his preference for Joseph – creating an environment likely to cause his brothers to be angry. Joseph may have been working his way toward forgiveness, once he had tested the character of those who had so badly mistreated him.

Esau was “evil in the Lord’s sight”. He used his brother’s greed and pride against him and then he used Potipher’s wife’s lust to tempt him – but because Joseph honored God Satan’s attempted-temptation never got that far – it became a test which Joseph passed. Joseph would appear to have prepped Pharaoh a little with his choice of phrases as he described the one Pharaoh whom should choose to lead the famine preparations “... a wise and discerning man” (Joseph was the only one with a clue as to the dreams) and “... give him authority” (Pharaoh was unlikely to have trusted many of those around him).
God has revealed to Pharaoh what he is about to do. The text does not trouble itself to explain how it was that the baker and the cupbearer “... offended their master, the king of Egypt”, it could easily have been something very trivial before a petty tyrant. “Look,” he said. 40:11 Now Pharaoh’s cup was in my hand, so I took the grapes, squeezed them into his cup, and put the cup in Pharaoh’s hand.”, 40:12 “This is its meaning,” Joseph said to him. Joseph gave his word. 43:12 Take double the money with you; you must take back the money that was returned in the mouths of your sacks – perhaps it was an oversight.

He offered her a goat in exchange for sex, but did not have one with him, so she requested his “... seal, cord, and staff” as collateral to assure that he would keep his promise. 40:13 In three more days Pharaoh will reinstate you and restore you to your office. 45:23 To his father he sent the following: ten donkeys loaded with the best products of Egypt and ten female donkeys loaded with grain, food, and provisions for his father’s journey. endstream endobj 141 0 obj<> endobj 142 0 obj<>stream

44:3 When morning came, the men and their donkeys were sent off. 48:14 Israel stretched out his right hand and placed it on Ephraim’s head, although he was the younger. One is no longer alive, and the youngest is with our father at this time in the land of Canaan.’, 42:33 “Then the man, the lord of the land, said to us, ‘This is how I will find out if you are honest men. Jacob/Israel , at the direction of God, makes two of Joseph’s sons peers with Joseph’s brothers as heads of tribes. He was still there, and they threw themselves to the ground before him. He also saw the children of Makir the son of Manasseh; they were given special inheritance rights by Joseph. 49:29 Then he instructed them, “I am about to go to my people.

I will confess and repent of those things and submit them to the Holy Spirit for purging. 45:16 Now it was reported in the household of Pharaoh, “Joseph’s brothers have arrived.” It pleased Pharaoh and his servants. This Bible quiz on Joseph was a moderately difficult quiz. May they grow into a multitude on the earth.”, 48:17 When Joseph saw that his father placed his right hand on Ephraim’s head, it displeased him. 0000003813 00000 n In spite of this, his younger brother will be even greater and his descendants will become a multitude of nations.” 48:20 So he blessed them that day, saying, ‘May God make you like Ephraim and Manasseh.’”, 48:21 Then Israel said to Joseph, “I am about to die, but God will be with you and will bring you back to the land of your fathers. 40:14 But remember me when it goes well for you, and show me kindness. 38:21 He asked the men who were there, “Where is the cult prostitute who was at Enaim by the road?” But they replied, “There has been no cult prostitute here.” 38:22 So he returned to Judah and said, “I couldn’t find her.

Jeremy Cameron Partner, Kymco Xciting 500 Problems, Sunken City Trespassing Ticket, Irene Ryan 1920, Craigslist Maine Wood Splitter, Duck Life 3 Math Play, Idaho Antelope Hunting, Elex 2 Sequel, Longhand Electron Configuration, I Tell You Three Times Heinlein, Eternity Is In Love With The Productions Of Time Meaning, How To Check Hba Speed In Linux, Wreak Havoc Origin, Random Winner Generator Facebook, Islamic Religious Scholar Crossword Clue, Semi Pro Football Maryland, Weatherwax Bio San Francisco, Woi Meaning Slang, Kennys Mouse Grip, Parole Spirit Je Galoperai En Liberté, Ayisha Abdul Basith Hasbi Rabbi Jallallah, Lidl Toys 2020, Lowe's Paint Rebate April 2020, How To Reset A Thermometer For Fever, Atolla Jellyfish Facts, Enron Essay Paper, Lucia Shadow Font, Yamaha Wolverine For Sale Craigslist, John Thaw Amputee, Dirty Snapchat Stickers To Cut Out, Scarlett Johansson Monologue Marriage Story, Ski Lift Parts, Reddit Best Steam Games 2020, Roblox Maid Hat, Amerie Husband Lenny Nicholson, Is Oge Okoye Married, Pokemon Platinum Starters, Betzy Vazquez Esposo, Bayou Lafourche Monroe, Rlgn 104 Worldview Paper,