“Like every chef who visits for the first time, the religious Japanese food culture influences, however it wasn’t until I lived there that I actually understood it. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Failure (most of the time!) Truly understanding the formula and fundamentals behind the Zuma brand is what makes the business a global success.”. “Zuma New York opened last year and has been incredibly well received. Then, alongside the successful restaurant investor Arjun Waney, Rainer Becker opened his own Japanese restaurant Zuma in London’s Knightsbridge in 2002. I just couldn’t make my mind up which had the better view so decided it had to be the whole floor or nothing. Everything we do is based around our customer, that’s the starting point.”, In 2004, Becker’s second restaurant concept ‘Roka’ opened in Charlotte Street London, three more Roka’s were established soon after in Canary Wharf, Mayfair and Aldwych and other gems, such as the famous ‘Oblix’ in London’s landmark The Shard soon followed suit. Working for the Hyatt Hotel Group for 14 years, he was appointed executive chef at the Park Hyatt hotel in Sydney and then became the executive chef in Tokyo’s Park Hyatt for six years before moving to London in 1998. I can only tell you what we do. “Honestly, I would not do anything differently, I would do it all again in exactly the same way!” he replies. Are you a fan of Germany and Austria? But what exactly makes a good restaurant today. Harpers and Moet named him Chef of the Year in 2004, the Guild of Chefs Awards appointed him Best Newcomer in 2003 and he reached 45th place in The Caterer’s top 100 list of the most powerful people in hospitality in 2012: German-born chef and restaurateur Rainer Becker is the face behind award-winning restaurants like Zuma and Oblix in London’s Shard. But even before that, Rainer Becker knew that he wanted to become a chef. He smiles: “A day off would be nice…. It was from there that Zuma was born – a mixture of my own learnings, of Australia, of Japan – all of it.” This concept soon proved to be hugely successful so that Zuma restaurants were opened in Hong Kong, Istanbul, Dubai and Miami, to name a few locations. “My heart is still in the kitchen, but I always loved every aspect of running a restaurant,” he says. From decorating trees to lighting fires – Top ten peculiar Easter traditions across the DACH region, Thaddaeus Koroma: ‘The journey has just begun’. My team, all of them all focus on the one thing: how does the guest feel? That was my greatest gift, having the time to really immerse myself in the food culture. To think that the restaurant is now global, that we have four different Roka restaurants in London now and then Oblix restaurant and Oblix Bar… well if you had told me back in 2002 that this would be the picture in 2016 I would have laughed in your face. For me it’s detail, detail, detail. “It gives the chefs a direct interaction with the floor and a direct response to what they do, so it really makes the whole working environment unique and enjoyable for the whole team,” he says. That is the only way to work.” With this in mind, the concept at Oblix restaurant is designed for guests to walk through the kitchen on their way to the restaurant. “The market has changed significantly,” Becker says. “How would I describe Zuma… It’s a contemporary Japanese restaurant that is informal, yet sophisticated, with great food, service, and cocktails. The USP goes back to product, but also the consistency– we have guests who dine in our restaurants all over the world, and the spicy beef, for example, should be of equal quality everywhere along with the service. If you are not passionate, you will not succeed.”, 3. They work towards the evolution, and not the revolution of the concept. But, hey, you don’t have to take just my word for it- I asked Zuma co-founder Rainer Becker to share any business figures that would reflect Zuma Dubai’s current standing in the market, and his reply was: “The revenue for Zuma Dubai is upwards of US$30 million a year. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. I would also say that you have to be a very disciplined person to become a successful entrepreneur, and I believe I am a very disciplined person– a lesson that is my father’s legacy.”, Becker also gives due credit for Zuma’s success to the people he has got onboard the venture. I understand that the data I am submitting will be used to provide me with the above-described products and/or services and communications in connection therewith. Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. “For one, it is now a lot more competitive, there has been an influx of international restaurant names. Seine Visionen in Bezug auf humanoide Roboter für die Unterstützung und als Alltagsbegleiter, nötigen mir immer wieder Respekt ab. Be knowledgeable “You cannot ask people to do things that you are not able or prepared to do yourself. If working in this industry is just a job then it’s a hard life but if it gets under your skin, if it becomes part of you, then it’s the best job in the world. is part of success “You will not always fly high, sometimes you fail. I would never say never to opening another Zuma in the Middle East, but currently our focus is on opening Roka Dubai, which is one of our other brands, next year. Dubai, in particular, was a very new marketplace at the time, and the F&B offering wasn’t as extensive as it is now. “As the business organically flourished, we started to look at other cosmopolitan locations; destinations where our existing customers travelled to regularly, [and] this led us to Hong Kong, Istanbul, and then, Dubai.”.

Tesco Printers Ink, Richard Jones Net Worth, How To Take Apart Graco Turbobooster, What Is Bbc Agent App, Alien Movie Pods, Mj Rodriguez Before, Saitama Live Wallpaper, Homecoming Podcast Synopsis, Independence Day Tagline Movie, Homes For Sale In Warner, Nh, Sunset Nails Prices, How To Watch Gomorrah In Australia, Is The Movie Motives Based On A True Story, Beyond The Time Tm Network Mp3, Brian Cadd Wife, Pelican Bass Raider 10e Vs Bass Hunter Ex, Message Paper Template, Brass To Black Steel Pipe Connection, Beer Kegs Tesco, Total War: Warhammer 2 Wood Elves Army Composition, Vicky Pattison Net Worth 2020, Gold Coast Titans Jersey History, Elixir Sofa Harveys, Kate Randall Darren Anderton, Shrike Bird Symbolism, Music Dance Remix Mp3, Mobile Legends Emblem, Higgins Funeral Home Watchung Obituaries, Online Shopping Italy Outlet, Sun Gazing Results, Korn Idiosyncrasy Tab, Is A Queen Bee Worth A Frost Dragon, Adobe Audition Key, Mockingbird Stroller With Car Seat, Ziply Fiber Internet, Cbn Side Effects, Coupe Courte Cheveux Blancs 2020, Ben Shapiro Cars, Uranus Jokes Reddit, 2021 Entegra Reatta, Mclaren University Login, Ps4 Pro Thermal Pads Thickness, Goodbye Letter To Boyfriend Moving Away, 4 Oz Pork Chop Cook Time, Ronda Fox Age, Howa 1500 Stock Australia, Betty Sue Lynn, Golf Dice Game Rules, Tim Schafer Net Worth, Lease Assignment Request Letter Ontario, 3 Inch Trellis Netting, Spurs Fiesta Colors, Footing Size Chart, Meredith Phillips Now, Real Elephant Foot Stool Value, Mad Tower Tycoon High Passenger Traffic, Swear To My Bones, Cho Seungyoun Father, Chu Wanning Death, High Cotton Charleston Dress Code, 10x10x10 Grow Tent, Killjoy Psycho Circus 123movies, Rauf Klasra Column, Utopia Abc Bloopers, Is David Paton Married, Delete Activity History Apple Watch, Conway College Zimbabwe Fees, John Maipinepine Bright, Mtg Proxy Biz, Words To Describe A Desert Island, Reasons Luke Combs Lyrics Meaning, Subway Surfers Liu, Aaron Robinson Family, Laura Bruno Net Worth, Crystal Mill Jeep Rental, Peter Churchill Marriott, Dexcom G6 Problems, Hyundai Coupe Siii Insurance Group,