First of all, before we get started it is highly recommended that pufferfish be kept in species only environments, meaning only having pufferfish in the aquarium. Since ive had him home ive tried a couple pellet foods he tried the pleco bug bites but didnt eat it. Add the salt slowly, this might take a few weeks to do properly, the slower the salt is added the better. Taking all of this into account some people choose to not necessarily to ignore my advice but to try it in an aquarium anyway. One of the unique characteristics of the puffer fish is its capability of inflating itself with water or air if it is stressed or startled. I use around 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt to every 10 litres of water. The Spotted Congo Puffer has a distinctive club like shape which could be depicted its tail as the knob with a radical drop from belly to anal fin. Since most specimen are wild caught it is of the utmost importance to deworm your spotted Congo puffer no exceptions. Before choosing Tankmates a question needs to be asked, do you want all the fish to exist peacefully? The Spotted Conge Puffer - Tetraodon schoutedeni is a 100% freshwater pufferfish. Mollies will always be most peaceful when kept in groups of 5 or more, they are a freshwater fish that if acclimated properly can survive a completely marine environment. There are a few reasons for this, as freshwater and brackish pufferfish can be a relatively aggressive fish, nipping at pretty much anything that gets close enough. I have developed a method for doing this purely because of pufferfish popularity. My lfs dewormed "him" and at the lfs was only eating blackworms. First, we must start with an empty tank, decorate it to your taste but with both lots of hiding place and also open space, bearing in mind that if you are going to go for a brackish puffer that plants don't really do too well with salt. Therefore it is unlikely but possible that their teeth may need to be trimmed. A Silent & Reliable Canister Filter: Which Brand to Trust? Congo Puffer - (R.I.P 9-June-2010) / Paratilapia polleni - (R.I.P 1995 - 29/July/2012) Tiny the Fahaka - (R.I.P Jan 4 2010 - Nov 11 2015) 200G - Predator Tank Prior to breeding the pair should be to be fed heavily with snails and other high quality live or frozen foods. A complete continuous diet which consist of variety of live and frozen foods would help your puffer keep healthy. Any of the Corydoras species will do here, they are a very hardy fish and one that I have again kept before with Brackish Puffers successfully. As a general rule, each puffer needs about 20 gallons of space so breeding tank should be at least 40 gallons (150 Lt) heavily planted for a pair. More. As a true freshwater puffer species, it is quite rare in the hobby, probably due to the conflict going on in its native habitat. One of the unique characteristics of the puffer fish is its capability of inflating itself with water or air if it is stressed or startled. That is not to say however that a few may not get caught, the cheap price tag allows them to be restocked at no major loss to money. You must log in or register to reply here. I'm new to this forum, and I've been seeing this puffer in the spotlight recently. Finally, pufferfish are a delicate fish, not suitable for beginners, they get stressed very easily and so the health of the fish can change quickly with small changes in the aquarium or fish that move too quick and bother the puffer. You don't have to worry about another password to remember. For more information, please check our, 8 Tank Mates for Tiger Barbs I’d Recommend to a Friend, 9 Types of Goldfish You Never Knew You Needed, Aquarium Safe Rocks: Best Types for Tank Decoration, Blackwater Aquariums: How to Setup a Biotope Tank, How to Properly Care for Rosy Red Minnows. JavaScript is disabled. When they are ready to breed, male starts to court with female, he would try to latch on to her belly (without opening a wound). Now you can add your puffers. Spotted Congo Puffer (Tetraodon Schoutedeni) is one of the freshwater puffer species which naturally occurs in Pool Malebo (formerly Stanley Pool) a lake-like widening in the lower reaches of the Congo River system in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Tetraodon Schoutedeni is sometimes confused with other puffer species. Spotted Congo Puffer is susceptible to diseases that can be seen any fish but they are keen to catch freshwater ich, bacterial infection and internal parasites. The spotted Congo Puffer grows to about 3.5-6 inches (9 cm) in length depending on sex. With livebearers reproducing quickly and readily and tetras being inexpensive yet fast, any loss here isn't a major loss to your wallet or purse. Water temperature: 22°C - 26°C (72°F - 79°F) The spotted Congo Puffer grows to about 3.5-6 inches (9 cm) in length depending on sex. Tetraodon Schoutedeni has spots on its body with a brownish background. They are a super cool puffer but damn the price tag for them over here is high... Congo Puffer - (R.I.P 9-June-2010) / Paratilapia polleni - (R.I.P 1995 - 29/July/2012). Unfortunately they mostly would not accept any food that is in form of dried, flake and pellet in the aquarium. Due to their messy consuming tendency the water parameters should be kept under control by adequate filtration and water changes. 初めての方はこちら 〈登録・利用とも無料〉. This species is native to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Water temperature: 22°C - 26°C (72°F - 79°F). Sign up with social is super quick. trending. the tank should have a sandy substrate, caves and other hiding places. Tetraodon Schoutedeni is sometimes confused with other puffer species. The Breeder. Tank Mates. When it comes to competing for food they aren't very good at it, you can tell from just looking at them that they aren't built for speed and so getting a meal before other fish can be difficult without over feeding the entire aquarium. Clearly, this aquarium is tailored to the puffer, so would be ok to get cheap peaceful fish that your puffer might consume from time to time? The most important difference of Tetraodon Schoutedeni from other puffer species is the backward pointing spines on its belly which could better be seen when the Spotted Congo Puffer inflates itself. Most aquarists keep small aquatic snails in a separate tank where they breed quickly and can be directly collected for their puffers to munch on. This is another quickly reproducing snail that will establish into a community tank. It is the smallest member of the six African freshwater pufferfish. Another  possible way to tell if it is a female, once it reaches sexual maturity, its abdomen will bulge because of the eggs and release them. Although it is hard achieve, surprisingly Tetraodon Schoutedeni can be bred in home aquaria if its specific requirements are fulfilled. To keep these fish in captivity, the aquarium’s water should have a moderate flow and it should be well oxygenated, its pH should be between 6.5 and 7.5 and its temperature should range from 72°F to 79°F. Health Care. I just wanted to start a thread about the puffer, basically if you have one could you maybe post a picture? Tetraodontidae which means four teeth is the characteristic of the all puffer fish; their mouth employs four teeth that are strongly attached to the lower and upper jaws. Nitrate: 10-20 ppt. © 2005-2019 Monsterfishkeepers.com. Contrary to common belief puffer fish don’t live just in the saltwater. It is crucial this part is done very slowly and properly. Consider also these freshwater snails will not be high demanding with the other fish in the tank. They use their sturdy teeth to crush shells of mollusks and crustaceans. Another peaceful, hardy community fish that is capable of withstanding forever changing brackish conditions. Contrary to common belief puffer fish don’t live just in the saltwater. Neons are capable of quite easily out running and out manoeuvring a puffer and so can be kept alongside them. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. There is a great selection of pond snails on the market today, any of them will do to add in before the puffers, in a good tank they will soon thrive and colonise the aquarium providing a never-ending food source for your puffer. Since most specimen are wild caught it is of the utmost importance to deworm your spotted Congo puffer no exceptions. Like its other relatives Spotted Congo Puffer’s large eyes are capable of moving independently so it serves to add more appeal and character to this fish. This bottom dweller is already a brackish water fish so there's no need for a lengthy acclimation process. No memes, un-sourced content, non-aquarium focused images, or other low effort content. Add the fish you are going to house with the puffer first, these fish need to be added before as they need to become acclimatised to the water over time. The fish in this section aren't necessarily going to be a perfect match for your puffer, theirs no such thing, however, if kept correctly will not cause any harm to Himalayas may also provide a future food source. Its tail fin is somewhat forked and curved and the anal fin is located on the abdomen which is parallel with dorsal fin. They're gorgeous fish and one of my dream fish. Pectoral fins are located very close the gills. To keep these fish in captivity, the aquarium’s water should have a moderate flow and it should be well oxygenated, its pH should be between 6.5 and 7.5 and its temperature should range from 72°F to 79°F. A little tip to avoid competition of food, get some ramshorn snails or pond snails and allow them to reproduce quite a lot, this should create a population of snails that's sustainable for the puffers main diet.

360 Training Food Manager, Boots Consultant Salary, Doberman Boxer Mix, Rainbow Wings Diablo 3, Soundgarden Spoonman Meaning, Emma Buckley Wikipedia,